What is the Independent Living Academy?
Omni Visions’ Independent Living Academy (ILA) is an Independent Living program for young adults who have aged out of the foster care system or who have been in custody prior to their 19th birthday.
Independent Living Academy Vision
Our vision is to provide an independent living experience with the promise of dependable support.
Independent Living Mission
Our mission is to empower young adults to achieve independence and transition into adulthood with skills, knowledge, experience, and supports necessary to obtain education, housing, employment, health services and permanent supportive relationships.
Who would be a good candidate for this program?
- Eligible for Extension of Foster Care Services
- 18 to 21 yrs. of age
- Have to have an education plan (Still in High school, GED, college, technical school)
- IQ of at least 70
- No Suicidal or Homicidal behavior in the last 6 months
- No pending felony charges (previous consider on a case per case basis)
- Be able to pass a drug screen
- Capable of living semi-independently successfully
What does the Independent Living Academy offer?
- Education –assistance with setting goals for education plan; help with completing financial aid forms; referrals to tutoring programs
- Employment – career exploration classes; job readiness training; linkages to Job & Career Centers
- Financial – savings matching program; allowance
- Food & Nutrition – monthly monetary assistance for food; classes on cooking healthy and within a budget
- Health – local gym membership; linkages to medical services; referrals to health care resources
- Housing – Spacious furnished home with individual furnished bedroom; home shared with other roommates
- Transportation – monthly bus pass provided; staff assistance when appropriate
- Life Skills – weekly life skills classes; social events celebrating young people’s successes and holidays
- Other Needs – linkages and referrals to community-based organizations
What can a young adult expect their bedroom to look like?
- Personal mini-frig
- Storage Cabinet
- Keypad entrance to bedroom (with individual code)